Monday, August 10, 2009

Journal 7

Reynard, Ruth (2009). Beyond social networking: buiding toward learning communities.. The Journal, Retrieved August 10, 2009, from http://thejournal.com/Articles/2009/07/15/Beyond-Social-Networking-Building-Toward-Learning-Communities.aspx?Page=1


Beyond Social Networking

I found this article very interesting because I know so many older people who have joined social networking sites recently, including my grandma even! I love that more people are joining because it has helped communication within my family.

How might online communication boost a student’s response confidence?

The author mentions that a challenge to the new technology tools in the HI experiment was student confidence and viewing their opinions as valuable to the community. This has always been evident in the classroom so it is not unique to the new technology tools. However, I have to admit that from my perspective, the ability to express my opinions online and not out loud having to view response expressions immediately immensely boosts my confidence and I feel much more comfortable posting information online for others to read.


What might be a downside to teachers having Facebook accounts?

Facebook accounts do not restrict the information presented on the profiles or the pictures and many people prefer to post information that is not only very personal but also give details of their lives. However, teachers are supposed to uphold a professional appearance and act accordingly at all times, especially within the presence of students and parents. If a teacher goes to a bar with a friend and that friend tags them in their picture, the teacher’s students could view that picture which would definitely not be an example of professionalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment