Sunday, July 26, 2009

Journal 4

Calendars

I chose this option because at first it seemed a little too simple to be on a list of classroom technology options. A calendar is a visual tool for time management. It can be displayed by day, week, or month and people can add reminders about certain dates, appointments, times, or schedules on it for themselves or others to see. In the past, calendars have been physical objects that people had to actually write on, but now with technology, calendars are much more interactive, easier to edit and visualize. I was curious to see what others had to say about it or whether there was some new meaning for a calendar that I evidently hadn't caught on to. Needless to say, there's no new meaning or any tricks, this tool is still the same as it ever was only now it's not hanging on a wall in your kitchen. However, I did read some very interesting uses for it that I hadn't thought of in the context of education. I remember that when I was in gradeschool we were required to fill out a weekly planner and have our parents sign it. However, that was only material that flowed through OUR pencils that the parents got to see. I can imagine how much more helpful it would be for a parent to see exactly what the teacher needs/wants to convey. Also as a student, I like to look ahead and be as prepared for a lesson as possible. In college, we receive syllabi that map out the semester for you. In high school or grade school, it wasn't quite that thorough. I can imagine how helpful it would be for a student to know in advance what they are going to be working on each day in class. The third use for calendars that I saw was for principals or substitute teachers. The calendar simply becomes an online lesson plan book for the principal to review or for a substitute to use as a reference should they need to.

4 comments:

  1. Calendars seem like they haven't changed too much Val-they're still just as rivoting as ever, wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see how a digital calendar could be a shared document that would allow better communication between parents and teacher. It would help to keep everyone on the same page as it were.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too like the idea of calendars, as simple as they are, they are extremely useful, and sometimes it is nice to still have simple things around us in life. The fact remains that we rely so much on technology that we forget things, so if it is not written down or going to pop up on our phones or email, we let it slip our minds. Calendars are perfect because they allow you to prepare in advance and keep a reminder along the path. The calendar i keep now is on my computer home screen and as well, emails me the notification of the events I place on it. I like the mention you made to class syllabi because I usually like to attempt to get ahead in class so I don't get too swamped and this calendar allows for that process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that a calendar would be a really great tool for teachers, students, and parents. Any means of communication between the classroom and parents is important and a caledar is a great tool to use for that.

    ReplyDelete